The story of the Charlton Methodist Church stretches back to 1790, when the congregation first formed- the oldest Methodist congregation in Worcester County.
In 1853 the congregation built their first church on Brookfield Road. Soon after the Charlton Methodist Episcopal Society was formed, and began worshiping together.
In a plight that was all-to-common for churches at the time, the original Methodist Church burned down.
The New Church building was completed with new Memorial Windows, across Stafford Street from the current location.
The church was moved to its current location at 12 Stafford Street by a wealthy member of the community who said the church was “encumbering upon the use of his yard.” He paid for the move and installed the basement floor that now houses sewing classes. At the same time, the pipe organ was also installed.
Cathy Racine fixes a sewing machine for a friend for the first time. The Simple Machine is born.
The Charlton Sewing Center evolves through a number of locations as the new focal point for creative sewing and quilting in Central Massachusetts.
Experiencing resurgence, the Charlton Methodist Congregation outgrew the location at 12 Stafford Street and moved to a new construction a short distance up the road at 74 Stafford Street. The Racine family purchased the remaining building for the Charlton Sewing Center.
Cathy Racine celebrates thirty years in business serving the sewing community.
The Church Bell was removed from the original building at 12 Stafford Street , fully restored, and brought to the new Charlton City Methodist Church at 74 Stafford Street.
The Northeast Long-arm Education Center Opens, and The Charlton Sewing Center is added to the Massachusetts Quilt Shop Hop
The Charlton Sewing School House opens